We believe the overall story-line of the Bible teaches us about God’s mission to redeem the lost world which He created. We call the Bible’s story-line “Redemptive History”. Here is a brief outline of it:
- God created the world and everything in it as Good (Gen. 1-2)
- The human race, through the deception of Satan, rebelled against God and twisted everything that is good so that the world is now decaying and tainted by sin (Gen. 3; Rom. 3:19-20)
- God calls a special people (Israel) to be set apart for which He promises redemption (Gen. 12)
- Out of Israel, God sends His Son, Jesus Christ, to forgive & renew humanity (Matt. 1:21; John 3:16)
- God’s church becomes the agent for world-wide renewal which will culminate in the return of Jesus (Matt. 28:16-20; Acts 1:8; Rev. 21:1-5)
The 3-Strands of the Gospel
The Gospel consists of three strands: Faith (in God through Jesus Christ), Love (towards God in Jesus and our neighbors), Hope (in the return of Christ who will put all things right)
- Faith: We confess and turn from our rebellion against God and receive His gracious acceptance of us through what Christ has done for us in His life, death and resurrection on our behalf
- Love: We receive the empowering presence of God’s Holy Spirit which changes our hearts and enables us to live a life focused on loving God and our neighbors
- Hope: We live our lives with a conscious dependence upon God through worship, fellowship and service in and through the local church. We do this with the anticipation that Jesus Christ will return and destroy the works of sin and evil by establishing His kingdom on this earth. We believe that if we die before Christ returns, we shall be resurrected as He was and reign with Him forever.
What you must do?
Adapted from an article called Knowing God by Pastor Tim Keller of Redeemer Church, Manhattan, NY:
- Repent. There first must be an admission that you have been living as your own master, worshipping the wrong things, violating God’s loving laws. “Repentance” means you ask forgiveness and turn from that stance with a willingness to live for and center on him.
- Believe. Faith is transferring your trust from your own efforts to the efforts of Christ. You were relying on other things to make you acceptable, but now you consciously begin relying on what Jesus did for your acceptance with God. All you need is nothing. If you think, “God owes me something for all my efforts,” you are still on the outside.
- Pray after this fashion: “I see I am more flawed and sinful than I ever dared believe, but that I am even more loved and accepted than I ever dared hope. I turn from my old life of living for myself. I have nothing in my record to merit your approval, but I now rest in what Jesus did and ask to be accepted into God’s family for his sake.” When you make this transaction, two things happen at once: 1) your accounts are cleared, your sins are wiped out permanently, you are adopted legally into God’s family and 2) the Holy Spirit enters your heart and begins to change you into the character of Jesus.
- Follow through. Tell a Christian friend about your commitment. Get yourself training in the basic Christian disciplines of prayer, worship, Bible study, and fellowship with other Christians.