May 24, 2020
This Sunday we are eager and excited to meet back together through Serve Sunday. While we won’t be having a mass gathering at the church building for worship, we will be able to worship God through serving our community. Our Community Pastor, Bob Stratton, has put together some great opportunities for our church to serve our community. Please, if you haven’t already, take a moment TODAY to visit the Serve Sunday page and sign up to help! Pastor Bob and Pastor Mark will be putting together some of the serving groups tomorrow, and knowing that you will be there will sure help! Can’t wait to serve along side you Sunday!
Something significant happens this week in the church calendar that I don’t want you to miss is – Ascension Day. It always happens on a Thursday, 40 days after Easter, so most churches don’t pay much attention to it. However, it is a significant event in the life of the church. Here are five spiritual insights we can gather from this day.
Read Luke 24:44-53
1) Jesus led them toward Bethany. He walked with him some 25 miles, in the body, after his resurrection. He was truly alive.
2) Jesus lifted his hands and blessed them. Jesus is always reaching out to bless us.
3) Jesus left them and was taken up to heaven. It came suddenly without warning or fanfare. Man’s last vision of Jesus was his outstretched hands blessing us. It suggests that his blessing never stopped.
4) They worshiped him and returned to Jerusalem with great joy. It was all true. Jesus really was the Messiah. They rejoiced and obeyed his last command to them, “wait.”
5) They stayed at the temple and continually praised God. They were excited and filled with joy and expectation. They knew! They didn’t need to be coaxed into worshiping Jesus. No one could keep them away.
What keeps us from worshiping joyously, enthusiastically, with expectation of things yet to come?